What is PrepSTART?
- PrepSTART is an oral language and early literacy initiative centred around children's books.
- 1 book is covered in the classroom across a two week period.
- Your child will have specific lessons based around this book targeting:
Your child will borrow the target book for one week out of the target fortnight.
Home follow up!
Lots of important learning happens at school, but the research tells us that home follow up is the key to success.
Books will be sent home on a Monday and will be required to be returned on the Thursday of the same week so another student will have the opportunity to take the book home.
Failure to return a book on the correct will result in another student missing out so please be mindful of this.
Just like any library book in our school, if you fail to return a book or return it in a poor condition, you will be responsible for replacing it.
What do you do with the book?
Your child will become very familiar with the book. Help your child by:
- Reading the book with your child in an engaging way
- Talking about what happens in the book and link it to things that happen in your everyday life
- e.g. "I remember one day I got lost and I had to ask the man in the shopping centre to call for my mum over the loud speaker."
- Pointing to things you see and talk about how it links to your every day life
- Talking about the words in the book
- e.g. Where should I read on this page? Do you know this letter? This word says 'danger'.